• When disposing of bank statements, utility bills and receipts containing any of your personal details, bank or credit card details, always try to shred or destroy before disposing of them.
• Keep your bank cards, credit cards, building society passbooks, passport and driving license or any other documents containing your personal details in a secure place.
• Do not allow anyone else to use your bank or credit card and do not give your pin number, password or security information to anyone else.
• Be cautious if someone calls you unexpectedly and asks for any personal details. If in doubt call the organisation they represent back on a number that you know to be correct (from a bank statement, letterhead, website or even by telephoning directory enquiries). Never call the organisation on the number the caller gives you.
• Do not keep your cheque book, bank cards and credit cards together.
• Check your credit report periodically to make sure no one else is obtaining credit using your identity.