Call us on

0808 169 7453



Ask us your question


Need help?

Help and Guidance

Help and guidance

This 'Help and Guidance' section includes information and guidance in relation to our savings accounts.

If your personal details have changed, eg address or name following a recent marriage, you should advise us immediately so that your information can be updated on our records.

To assist you, we have tried to make the process as easy as possible and the following  information will be of assistance to you:

Change of Name

If your name has changed, or about to change, due to marriage, divorce or through deed poll, please advise us of your new details as soon as possible so we can update your account(s). 

For name changes, we will require you to complete a ‘Specimen Signature Form' and you can access this by clicking here. Please print and complete the form then take it, along with your passbook(s), to your local branch. We will also require the certified official document supporting the change, eg marriage certificate, change of name deed poll, decree absolute, etc. We will use these to perform the change and will return them along with your passbook(s).

Alternatively, please send the completed specimen signature form, passbook(s) and certified official document to the address shown at the bottom of this page.

Please also see ‘Important Information’ below.

Change of Address

If you are in the process of moving home, or have already moved, then please remember to advise us as soon as possible so we can update our records with your new address. This will ensure we continue to keep in touch and you will receive important mailings such as AGM notification, etc. 

For change of address, we will need you to complete a ‘Change of Address' form and you can access this by clicking here.  Please print and complete the form then take it, along with your passbook(s), to your local branch.  Alternatively, please send the completed form and passbook(s) to the address shown at the bottom of this page.

What happens next?

Once we receive the appropriate completed form(s), we will process the required change(s), update your records and return your passbook(s) to you.

Important information

Please note that where you forward the above forms to the address below, and your signature authorising the change does not match, we will need to contact you further before we can make any changes.

If you are unable to visit your local branch, you may forward the documents detailed above to the following address where the necessary action will be taken.

Savings Department
Leek United Building Society
50 St. Edward Street
ST13 5DL

As with your local branch, once your records have been updated, we will return your passbook(s) and any other certified official document(s) directly to you.

Do you think you have a 'lost' savings account?

A website has been created to help reunite you with your lost savings accounts.

This free service has been made possible by bringing together the three tracing schemes:

  • British Banking Association (BBA);
  • Building Societies Association (BSA) and
  • National Savings & Investments (NS&I).

The scheme covers all UK building societies, banks and all NS&I products,  including Post Office savings accounts.

To view the website, go to

Our commitment to you

At Leek United we are committed to the highest standards of customer care and we want to know what you have to say about our services and products.

Your valued feedback will help us to ensure that we design products and services to meet your needs. 

If we get things wrong, your complaint will be dealt with in line with our internal complaints procedure to ensure fair resolution.  To view our complaints procedure please click here.

At Leek United, we understand that it is our responsibility to ensure that any details we hold on our customers’ personal and financial details are kept secure and private.

We hope you find the following helpful ideas useful to enable you to do the same at home.

The basics

  •  When disposing of bank statements, utility bills and receipts containing any of your personal details, bank or credit card details always try to shred or destroy before disposing of them.
  •  Keep your bank/credit cards, building society passbooks, passport and driving licence or any other documents containing your personal details in a secure place.
  • Do not allow anyone else to use your bank or credit card and do not give your pin number, password or security information to anyone else.
  • Be cautious if someone calls you unexpectedly and asks for any personal details. If in doubt call the organisation they represent back on a number that you know to be correct (from a bank statement, letterhead, website or even by telephoning directory enquiries). Never call the organisation on the number the caller gives you.
  • Do not keep your cheque book and bank/credit cards together.
  • Check your credit report periodically to make sure no one else is obtaining credit using your identity.

Your Leek United Accounts

  • Report any lost or stolen passbooks to us immediately on 0808 281 9308 or call into any branch so that we can take the necessary steps to protect your account.
  • When Leek United calls any customer we verify that we are talking to the correct person by asking them security questions including personal details.

If you wish to check the call is genuine, ask the caller whether they are from our Customer Service Centre or one of our branches and call them back using a telephone number you know is correct. All our telephone numbers and contact details for our branches) can be found on the website or you can call our Customer Service Centre on 01538 384151.

  • Regularly check your passbooks for any suspicious or unrecognised transactions.
  • Always tell us if you change your name, address, telephone number or email address as soon as possible, so that we can ensure our records are kept up to date. We may need to contact you urgently if we have a concern about a transaction on your account.
  • Never include your full personal details in an email to us or anyone else.

You can find out more about identity fraud and what you can do to protect yourself from the following sites: - the UKs national fraud and internet crime reporting centre. - Take Five is a national campaign that offers straight-forward and impartial advice to help everyone protect themselves from preventable financial fraud.

Here at Leek United we understand that some of our customers are not able to access our branch or agency network.  So, to ensure we can provide a top quality service to all our customers, we have developed ‘Leek by Post’ which allows us to effectively administer any of our savings accounts using the postal service.

Although Leek United is a regional building society, we do allow customers living outside our operational areas of Staffordshire, Cheshire, Derbyshire and Shropshire to open savings accounts.  

However, there are occasions when some of our accounts may only be opened by customers living within our operational area.  If this is the case, it will be clearly highlighted on the relevant terms and conditions.


What ‘Leek by Post’ offers:

• Choose from any account in our current savings range, unless the individual product terms and conditions indicate that the account can only be opened within our operations areas of Staffordshire, Cheshire, Derbyshire and Shropshire.

• Once the account is open, you will receive free postal transactions.

• Any transaction you make will be processed on the day of receipt (except weekends).

• Standing Orders can be paid into any of your accounts (unless otherwise stated in the terms and conditions).

• Direct Debits can be operated from our Easy Access Pyramid Share account.

• We have a dedicated helpline for account information.

• Free replacement pre-paid stationery will be forwarded to you (by post) after each transaction.


How to open your ‘Leek by Post’ savings account

1.    Choose which account(s) you wish to open.

2.    These terms and conditions must be read in conjunction with our ‘Statement of Practice for Investors’ web page which details generic terms and conditions relating to all our saving accounts.

3.    Complete and sign the relevant savings application form(s) which can be found on our ‘Savings Application Forms’ web page.

4.    Proof of identity is required for all applicants before we can open an account.  Please see our ‘Proving your Identity web page for full details. 

5.    Decide on the amount* you wish to deposit and forward your cheque† and completed documentation mentioned above to any of our branches or Savings Department in our Customer Service Centre.





Check before you post –

Have you enclosed:

• Completed and signed application Form(s)

• Proof of identity (if applicable)


How to use ‘Leek by Post’ once your account has been opened:

Paying in:


2.    Send your cheque(s) and passbook in the pre-paid envelope provided. Cheques should be made payable to the name of the account holder and not to Leek United.

3.    The deposit will be recorded in your passbook and the passbook returned to you together with a transaction request form and a pre-paid envelope.

Once your application has been received, we will reply within three working days.


Setting up a Standing Order for deposits

1.  Complete and sign a Standing Order form by printing one off the website or using the one forwarded to you when you opened your ‘Leek by Post’ account.

Please remember to write your savings account number in the boxes provided on the form.

2.  Send the completed form direct to your bank.


Making withdrawals

Please note:  Withdrawals can be made by cheque only.  Cheques paid into your account must be invested for at least six banking days before withdrawals can be made against them.  See the ‘Statement of Practice for Investors’web page for further details.

1. Complete the withdrawal section of the transaction request form forwarded to you when opening your account.

2.  If you have a notice account, and want to make a penalty free withdrawal by giving us notice, you need to initial the relevant section of the withdrawal request form. 

Your withdrawal will be made after the required notice period. If this section is not initialled, we will make your withdrawal immediately and charge interest according to the terms of the individual product terms and conditions.

3.  If more than one cheque is required please attach an explanatory note to your request.

4.  If more than one signature is required to operate this account, all account holders MUST sign the withdrawal form.

5.  Send the completed transaction request form and your passbook in the pre-paid envelope provided.

6.  The withdrawal(s) will be recorded in your passbook. The passbook and cheque(s) will be returned to you, together with a replacement transaction request form and a prepaid envelope.


How to Change Your Address

Please write to us confirming your account number, name and new address, then sign it and forward to your local branch or our Customer Service Centre, 50 St. Edward Street, Leek, Staffordshire, ST13 5DL. Alternatively you can change your address in any of our branches.

You must produce evidence of your new address if we ask to see it.

You can transfer from your existing Stocks and Shares or Cash ISA into a new Leek United Cash ISA and we have worked really hard to make this process as simple as possible for you.

It is always a good idea to check with your current provider whether any charges apply for transferring your ISA to another provider.

To find out more about our Bereavement Advice please click here.

A Power of Attorney enables someone else to legally manage your affairs on your behalf when you are no longer able to or no longer want to.

In order to help you, we have produced a leaflet containing information about Power of Attorney and explaining how you can register your Power of Attorney with us.  You can download our Power of Attorney Registration Form by clicking here.

Alternatively, you may contact one of our branches where trained staff will guide you through the relevant steps.

If you require any further information please visit any of our branches or alternatively, call the Savings Department in our Customer Service Centre on 0808 281 9308 where we will explain what you need to do and confirm what documentation you need to provide.

You can apply to become someone’s deputy if they lack mental capacity – this means they can’t make a decision for themselves at the time it needs to be made.

This can be because

  • They have had a serious brain injury or illness
  • They have dementia
  • They have severe learning disabilities

As a deputy you will be authorised by the Court of Protection to make decisions on their behalf.

When you are appointed, you will be sent a “court order” telling what you can and can’t do as a deputy.

To register the court order document with us

  1. Make an appointment at your local branch and ensure you bring the original court order so we can take a copy for our records
  2. If you have no access to a local branch contact a member of Savings Department on 0808 281 9308. You can download our Court of Protection Registration Form by clicking here.

If you are an existing or new customer we will carry out relevant identification checks on the donor and yourself. You should bring along original documents for proof of identification; a list of acceptable identification is detailed in our Proving Your Identity leaflet.

Please ensure that all current passbooks are brought to the appointment in order for the accounts to be updated.

The completed documents will be forwarded to our Customer Service Centre and our records updated within 14 days. You will receive confirmation in writing that the registration process is complete.

Unsure about anything? Just contact us below or call 01538 384151