This 'Help and Guidance' section includes information and guidance in relation to our savings accounts.
If your personal details have changed, e.g. address or name following a recent marriage, you should advise us immediately so that your information can be updated on our records.
To assist you, we have tried to make the process as easy as possible and the following information will be of assistance to you:
Change of Name
If your name has changed due to marriage, divorce or through deed poll, please advise us and provide the relevant identification documents of your new details as soon as possible so we can update your account(s).
For name changes, we will require you to complete a ‘Specimen Signature Form'. Please print and complete the form then take it, along with your passbook(s), to your local branch. We will also require the certified official document supporting the change, e.g. marriage certificate, change of name deed poll, decree absolute, etc. We will use these to perform the change and will return them along with your passbook(s).
Alternatively, please send the completed specimen signature form, passbook(s) and certified official document to the address shown at the bottom of this page.
Please also see ‘Important Information’ below.
Change of Address
If you have moved home please remember to advise us as soon as possible so we can update our records with your new address. This will ensure we continue to keep in touch and you will receive important mailings such as Annual General Meeting notification, etc.
For change of address, we will need you to complete a ‘Change of Address Form'. Please print and complete the form then take it, along with your passbook(s), to your local branch. Alternatively, please send the completed form and passbook(s) to the address shown at the bottom of this page.
What happens next?
Once we receive the appropriate completed form(s), we will process the required change(s), update your records and return your passbook(s) to you.
Please note that where you forward the above forms to the address below, and your signature authorising the change does not match, we will need to contact you further before we can make any changes.
If you are unable to visit your local branch, you may forward the documents detailed above to the following address where the necessary action will be taken.
Leek United Building Society
50 St. Edward Street
As with your local branch, once your records have been updated, we will return your passbook(s) and any other certified official document(s) directly to you.
Do you think you have a 'lost' savings account?
A website has been created to help reunite you with your lost savings accounts.
This free service has been made possible by bringing together the three tracing schemes:
The scheme covers all UK building societies, banks and all NS&I products, including Post Office savings accounts.
To view the website, go to www.mylostaccount.org.uk.
Our commitment to you
In Leek United we are committed to the highest standards of customer care and we want to know what you have to say about our services and products.
Your valued feedback will help us to ensure that we design products and services to meet your needs.
If we get things wrong, your complaint will be dealt with in line with our internal complaints procedure to ensure fair resolution. To view our complaints procedure please click here.
In Leek United, we understand that it is our responsibility to ensure that any details we hold on our customers’ personal and financial details are kept secure and private.
We hope you find the following helpful ideas useful to enable you to do the same at home.
If you wish to check the call is genuine, ask the caller whether they are from our Customer Service Centre or one of our branches and call them back using a telephone number you know is correct. All our telephone numbers and contact details for our branches can be found on the website or you can call our Customer Service Centre on 01538 384151.
You can find out more about identity fraud and what you can do to protect yourself from the following sites:
www.actionfraud.police.uk - the UKs national fraud and internet crime reporting centre.
- Take Five is a national campaign that offers straight-forward and impartial advice to help everyone protect themselves from preventable financial fraud.
Here in Leek United we understand that some of our customers are not able, for whatever reason, to come in and see us in our branches or agencies.
To ensure that we can continue to provide a convenient service to all of our members, Leek United has developed Leek by Post, a service which allows us to effectively administer any of our savings accounts via the post.
Although Leek United is a regional Building Society, we do allow customers living outside of our heartland of Staffordshire, Cheshire, Derbyshire and Shropshire to open savings accounts. Occasionally some of our accounts may only be opened to customers living within those areas but that will be highlighted on the relevant account terms and conditions.
What Leek by Post offers
• The choice of any account from our current savings range unless indicated otherwise in individual product terms and conditions.
• Free postal transactions.
• Your transaction will be processed on the day of receipt (except weekends).
• Standing Orders can be paid into any of our accounts (unless otherwise stated in the terms and conditions).
• Direct Debits can be operated from our Easy Access Pyramid Share account.
• Dedicated helpline for account information.
• Free replacement stationery will be forwarded to you (by post) after each transaction.
How to open your Leek by Post savings account
1. Choose which account(s) you wish to open.
2. Terms and conditions must be read in conjunction with our ‘Statement of Practice Investors’ leaflet which details generic terms and conditions relating to all our saving accounts.
3. Complete and sign the relevant application form(s). These can be obtained from our branches, agencies or on our Savings Application Forms web page.
4. Proof of identity is required for all applicants before we can open an account. Please see our ‘Proving your Identity’ web page for full details.
5. Decide on the amount you wish to deposit.
6. Post the following documents to any of our branches or to Leek United Building Society, Customer Service Centre, 50 St. Edward Street, Leek, Staffordshire, ST13 5DL:
• Application Form.
• Proof of identity (if applicable).
• Deposit cheque made payable to the account holder.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH.
Once your application has been received and your account has been opened, you will receive a Leek by Post pack, which includes important documents relating to your account plus the stationery you’ll require to operate your account by post.
How to use Leek by Post
1. PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH.
2. Send your cheque(s) and passbook in a pre-paid envelope. Cheques should be made payable to the name of the account holder and not to the Society.
3. The deposit will be recorded in your passbook and the passbook returned to you together with a transaction request form and a pre-paid envelope.
Setting up a Standing Order for Deposits
1. Complete and sign the Standing Order Form enclosed with your postal transactions pack. Please remember to write your Leek United Savings Account Number in the boxes.
2. Send the completed form direct to your bank.
NB: Withdrawals can be made by cheque only. Cheques paid into your account must be invested for at least six banking days before withdrawals can be made against them. See the 'Statement of Practice Investors’ web page for further details.
1. Complete the withdrawal section of the transaction request form.
2. If you have a notice account, and want to make a penalty free withdrawal by giving us notice, you need to indicate on the transaction request form.
Your withdrawal will be made after the required notice period. If notice has not been previously given, we will make your withdrawal immediately and charge the stated interest penalty.
3. If multiple signatures are required to operate this account, all relevant account holders MUST sign.
4. Send the transaction request form and your passbook in a pre-paid envelope.
5. The withdrawal(s) will be recorded in your passbook. The passbook and cheque(s) will be returned to you together with a replacement transaction request form and a pre-paid envelope.
How to Change Your Address
Please write to us confirming your account number, name and new address, then sign it and forward to your local branch or our Customer Service Centre, 50 St. Edward Street, Leek, Staffordshire, ST13 5DL. Alternatively you can change your address in any of our branches.
You must produce evidence of your new address if we ask to see it.
You can transfer from your existing Stocks and Shares or Cash ISA into a new Leek United Cash ISA and we have worked really hard to make this process as simple as possible for you.
It is always a good idea to check with your current provider whether any charges apply for transferring your ISA to another provider.
To transfer your existing ISA to a Leek United Cash ISA, you can book an appointment with your local branch. Alternatively, you can complete an ISA Transfer Form plus an ISA Application Form and post to:
Savings Department, Leek United Building Society, 50 St. Edward Street, Leek, Staffordshire, ST13 5DL.
We would be grateful if you would complete these forms with as much detail as possible to enable us to deal with your application quickly and efficiently for you. We may ask you to provide proof of identification if we cannot verify you electronically.
Once the ISA transfer is complete, our Savings Team will notify you and provide you with your account details, along with other important documents which apply to your ISA.
To find out more about our Bereavement Advice please click here.
A Power of Attorney enables someone else to legally manage your affairs on your behalf when you are no longer able to or no longer want to.
In order to help you, we have produced a leaflet containing information about Power of Attorney and explaining how you can register your Power of Attorney with us. You can download our Power of Attorney Registration Form by clicking here.
Alternatively, you may contact one of our branches where trained staff will guide you through the relevant steps.
If you require any further information please visit any of our branches or alternatively, call the Savings Department in our Customer Service Centre on 0808 281 9308 where we will explain what you need to do and confirm what documentation you need to provide.
You can apply to become someone’s deputy if they lack mental capacity – this means they can’t make a decision for themselves at the time it needs to be made.
This can be because;
As a deputy you will be authorised by the Court of Protection to make decisions on their behalf.
When you are appointed, you will be sent a “court order” telling what you can and can’t do as a deputy.
To register the court order document with us
If you are an existing or new customer we will carry out relevant identification checks on the donor and yourself. You should bring along original documents for proof of identification; a list of acceptable identification is detailed in our Proving Your Identity leaflet.
Please ensure that all current passbooks are brought to the appointment in order for the accounts to be updated.
The completed documents will be forwarded to our Customer Service Centre and our records updated within 14 days. You will receive confirmation in writing that the registration process is complete.