Ask us your question


Need help?

Home Insurance Frequently Asked Insurance Questions. Click here to get a FREE quote

Frequently Asked Insurance Questions

Here are some helpful 'frequently asked questions' to help when thinking about an insurance policy.

Insurance FAQs

You can pay for your policy by making a one-off payment for the year or by making monthly instalments at no extra charge.

Annual payments can be made by debit/credit card or cheque, alternatively monthly payments can be made by direct debit.

If there are any changes to your circumstances, e.g. number of bedrooms has changed, you or any member of your family has been convicted of any offence except for driving, etc. (see Policy booklet for full details) you must tell us within 30 days of knowing of any changes by using the address on the front of the Schedule.

If you wish to cancel your policy after 14 days of the date you received your policy documents, we will refund premiums already paid for the remainder of the current insurance period provided no claim has been made during the current insurance period.

However you cancel your policy, you need to write to RSA at the address, or call the number shown, on your Schedule. 

If your premiums are paid directly to RSA, their claims telephone number is 0345 941 4243.

Alternatively, if you have either a Building Protection Plan, House & Home Protection Plan or Homesecure policy, which is paid via Leek United, then RSA’s claims telephone number is 0345 070 0450.

Step 1

If your complaint relates to your policy then please contact the RSA sales and service number shown in your Schedule. 

If your complaint relates to a claim then please call the claims helpline number shown in your policy booklet.

RSA aim to resolve your concerns by close of the next business day.

Step 2

In the unlikely event that your concerns have not been resolved within this time, your complaint will be referred to RSA’s Customer Relations Team who will arrange for an investigation on behalf of their Chief Executive. Their contact details are:

Customer Relations Team
P O Box 255
NR18 8DP

Once RSA have reviewed your complaint, they will issue their final decision in writing within 8 weeks of the date they received your complaint.

If you are still unhappy after their review, or you have not received a written offer of resolution within 8 weeks of the date they received your complaint, you may be eligible to refer your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service. The Financial Ombudsman Service is an independent body that arbitrates on complaints. They can be contacted at:

Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
Harbour Exchange Square
E14 9SR

0800 023 4567 (free from standard land line, mobiles may be charged)
0300 123 9123 (same rate as 01 or 02 numbers, on mobile phone tariffs)



You have six months from the date of RSA’s final response to refer your complaints to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This does not affect your right to take legal action, however, the Financial Ombudsman Service will not adjudicate on any case where litigation has commenced.

Alternately, if your complaint is about the sale of your policy these need to be addressed to Leek United Building Society.

Covid-19 Related Insurance FAQs

RSA are here to help. They are offering payment deferrals to their customers struggling financially due to coronavirus so please get in contact with them as soon as you can by emailing them at or phoning RSA on 0345 070 0772. RSA will get back to you as soon as possible. They can discuss the options available to you and rest assured all conversations are confidential.

If you are unable to do this yourself or would prefer that RSA discuss your policy with a family member or friend, they need your permission to do this. Please let RSA know if this is the case when you contact them.

Under normal circumstances, RSA tell their customers that documents can take up to 2 weeks to arrive by post. There may be delays in receiving your documents at the moment due to Royal Mail reduced services in response to coronavirus.

You do not need to tell RSA if you are carrying out clerical work from home, such as using a laptop or phone.

You do not need to add work equipment (e.g. a phone or laptop) to your policy if they are owned by your employer.

Any business equipment owned by you can be covered under your policy. Please check your Policy Schedule and Policy Wording for more details and limits.

If you have to leave your home unoccupied under the following circumstances:‐

  • Staying with friends, family or carers whilst the Government advises staying at home.
  • Staying with friends, family or carers whilst self‐isolating.
  • Being unable to travel home from abroad.
  • Being in hospital.

RSA's policy usually allows for your home to be unoccupied for up to 60 days before certain restrictions apply. However, they will waive these restrictions if that is unavoidable as a result of coronavirus. You do not need to let them know if your home will be unoccupied due to coronavirus.

If you are planning to leave your property unoccupied, here are some tips to help protect it:

  • ask a friend or neighbour to keep an eye on your property;
  • ensure your windows and doors are locked (and remove keys) and set your alarm;
  • switch off and unplug electrical items;
  • turn off the gas at the mains, unless it’s required for an automatically controlled heating system;
  • turn off the water at the mains and drain the system unless an automatically controlled heating system requiring the water supply is left in operation.

No, you don’t need to tell RSA if you are home more often because of the virus.

If the home is occupied by anyone other than you or your family, certain restrictions apply. However, RSA will waive these restrictions if your friend or carer is staying with you as a result of coronavirus. If your friend or carer continues to stay with you after the Government advice to stay at home or self‐isolation finishes, you must tell RSA so they can update your policy.

Yes, RSA will cover personal belongings that are temporarily removed from your home if you are living elsewhere while the Government advises that you stay at home or during self‐isolation if you lose them, they’re damaged in a fire or stolen. Please check your Policy Wording for a full list of what RSA do and don’t cover, and details of policy limits.

Yes, RSA will continue to cover your items, subject to the validity of the information you have provided while you have to stay at home or self‐isolate. Please provide RSA with a valuation as soon as you can once restrictions are lifted. Details of how to
do this are included in your policy documentation. In the meantime, you will be covered and RSA will send you a reminder at a later date.

If you find you have missed your renewal date due to issues relating from coronavirus, then please email RSA on or phone 0345 070 0772 and they will do what they can to either reinstate your policy or arrange a new policy for you as soon as possible.

Please email RSA at to add high value items to your policy.

Please email RSA at

You can submit a home insurance claim by calling 0345 072 7148.

RSA are working with their suppliers to keep any disruption to their claims process to a minimum, however their repairers will keep you updated if there are any possible delays relating to your individual repair, such as a delay to sourcing parts or materials.

Please call RSA on 0345 070 0772 if your policy needs to be renewed within the next 5 days. Please note their lines are open Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.

For all other queries, please email RSA at and they’ll do their very best to get back to you within 5 days. Your patience during this time is greatly appreciated.

More on insurance

Show more

Get in contact

Show more

Our Branches

Show more

Unsure about anything? Just contact us below or call 01538 384151