Diversity and Inclusion Policy
The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect. It means understanding that each individual is unique and recognising our individual differences. These differences include, but are not limited to, gender, pregnancy and maternity, ethnicity, culture, age, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or belief, marital and civil partnership status, education, and those with caring responsibility.
We recognise the importance that equality legislation has to play in promoting equality and eliminating unlawful discrimination but seek to exceed our legal obligations and to provide an inclusive environment for all.
We understand that simply having diversity in our workforce is not enough; we must create an inclusive environment where all people can contribute their best work.
Inclusion is engaging the uniqueness and talents, beliefs, backgrounds, capabilities and ways of working of individuals, joined in a common endeavour to create a culture of belonging in which people are valued and respected.
By embracing employee inclusion and diversity, we mean that talent, contribution, and commitment are key to achieving our aims and we know we can draw on the best of these from all backgrounds.
- We will give careful consideration to the combined skills, experience and diversity of our existing workforce including our Board members when making new appointments.
- We aim to create a workforce that is representative of the regions in which we operate, knowing that embracing diversity amongst our workforce is of value and this is considered alongside the key requirements of relevant knowledge, skill and expertise to enhance the capability of the Society.
- We value our people for their contribution and will embrace diversity in all aspects of our business.
- We will seek to create a genuinely inclusive workspace which embraces similarities and differences at the individual and group levels for the attainment of the common endeavour.
- We will not tolerate bullying and harassment in any form. In addition, we will endeavour to protect our employees from any form of third party harassment and from adverse treatment because of their association or perception related to one of the characteristics above.
- We recognise the need to support the unique and diverse needs of our customer and community base and will work to ensure that we exceed their expectations of us.
- We expect our suppliers and associates to actively support us in achieving a diverse and inclusive culture and to be able to demonstrate this.
Issue 1 - January 2016